With all of the media surrounding this game, you’d think I’d have a better idea of what it’s all about. Truth is, screenshots and videos just don’t do this title justice. Here’s a few points I wanted to jot down for future consideration:
- While the videos seem to indicate a cartoonish look, I find it’s a nice combination of a third person Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance and Fable with less Charles Dickens in it. Colourful and vibrant, it makes a nice contrast to the bleak look of other RPGs.
- Character models and enemies are great. I was impressed at how fluid and realistic body movement was.
- The world is huge. You can tell that just from the sizable portion you get in the demo.
- Combat, while certainly not “innovative” as led to believe, is damn fun and easy to master.
- Great voice acting from what I’ve heard so far.
- The skill tree and class system seems well thought out.
- Two hours of demo gameplay makes for a great first impression.
What this game boils down to, is a safe first entry by a new studio which takes traits that have worked successfully in other games and adds its own personality and style to it. It doesn’t rock the boat for RPGs but should give us a good, fun game that I’m eagerly looking forward to.
UPDATE: I forgot to mention that this game will automatically get an extra point five on my review score for actually having a decent haircut option for my character. Seriously, who knew that game developers would have such a hard time making decent hair in 3d games? Kudos for offering something that no one else has. It’s little things like that which make character customization worthwhile.